"The forest is lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep." --Robert Frost.
It was so interesting to me that as I stared at those words, then closed my eyes and repeated them back in my mind until they were memorized, how calm and peaceful I felt. THAT is the difference for me between a math test and an English test! Even though I was very frustrated at my professor for creating an exam that was so unlike in many ways to the homework and review we had, I was so calmed by the few lines of poetry he put at the bottom of our page (this is also a professor that starts out every class period with a 5-10 minutes spiritual thought).
Anyway, it was an interesting revelation to me about the way my mind works. Even though I've known for years that math stresses me while literature calms me, it was very cool to see it work that way in the testing center in the middle of a finance test.
Also, I'm giving a talk in two weeks in Sacrament Meeting, topic "Judge Not." Any cool resource ideas?
1 comment:
I'm sending you a Meg Wheatley quote on listening/judging. Also, you know the concept of "What's the story I'm telling myself?" Great way to defeat judgments.
Post a Comment